Wednesday, August 25, 2010
The power of a "blink"
I am currently reading a book "Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking" by Malcom Gladwell. In the book, the author talks about our conscious and unconscious part of our brain. How sometimes we come to a conclusion about something but unable to explain why we think that way or something. The authors also note how judgement with too much considerations can be tricky, compared to the one made in just a blink. He raised some famous example to support his arguments. I haven't finished the book yet; however, I've been thinking about this quite often. When it comes to making a decision, I usually give lots of time and thoughts about the matter; I weight pros and cons, and explore other alternatives. I wonder, while reading "Blink" if I am, too, making things complicated with all my thoughts. Can a decision made in a blink of consideration work better than the one a result of thorough consideration. Won't it be too risky to decide in just a "blink"? Aren't we taught not to rush into things or do not "judge the book by its cover?". That seems a lots of doubts about this power of a "blink". After all, I have lots more of the book to discover, maybe there are answers to these questions somewhere. Stay tuned!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment